Saturday 11 September 2010

Fishy Kitty Hat

My mum is extremely disparaging of this hat. I've tried explaining that kitty ears are totally in (and they are, I've seen loads in Claire's) and that earflappy 'Dappy Hats' are cool, but she thinks I made a pretty hat and then ruined it by adding childish weirdness.

I stuck with it, though :D This is my first attempt at knitting in the round with DPNs, so it was rather scary and very exciting! This is also my first pattern from a book, Debbie Stoller's Stitch'n'Bitch Kitter's Handbook (although as that calls for aran weight and I only own epic amounts of DK, I had to do a lot of MATHS! to make this work out right)

I was planning on wearing this while travelling (althought now I think I'll give it to my sister) and I didn't want pom-poms on the tie-ends that would get all ratty and fall apart. So I had a think about kitty-related things and designed my own little fishy tie-ends!


Pattern for Fishy Tie-Ends:

From 4-st icord:
1: k2tog k2tog (2)
2: k icord style
Start knitting flat:
3: p1 m1 p1 m1 (4)
4: seed st
5: p1 m1 k1 p1 m1 k1 (6)
6: *k1 m1 - seed st to last 2 - k1 m1 k1* (8)
7: rep row 6 (10)
8-12: seed st
13: k1, k2tog - seed st to last 3 - k2tog, k1 (8)
14: rep row 13 (6)
15: seed st
16: p1 k2tog k2tog k1 (4)
17: seed st
18: k1 m1 p1 k1 m1 p1 (6)
19: rep row 6 (8)
20: seed st
21: rep row 6 (10)
22: seed st
23: BO

For added weight consider pu2 where fish meets icord and repeating the whole thing, then sewing the two fish together. Alternatively, add button or bead eyes :D

1 comment: